Sunday, October 24, 2010

Marley B3

One of my favorite parts of birthday parties is the birthday cakes! I have been doing different character cakes each year and I just love planning what I'm going to do next. This year for Marley's cake I decided to try fondant. I've been intimidated in the past so I've just done buttercream frosting. Well, I found a recipe online, held my breath and tried it. It was so much fun and not as difficult as I thought. Plus, there are so many great video tutorials online.
Douglas helped me pick a good picture of R2D2 and we built this cake one section at a time.
The web site that I found my recipe on is thecookduke.com
Marley helped me make a quadruple recipe of fondant

Douglas took pictures of the progression and gave me lots of encouragement.

I made a bit of a mess, but it was fun!

Okay, a BIG mess. During the process our friends came over and couldn't hide the shock on their faces, but hopefully I'll learn to be more tidy as I improve my skills.

Gracie loved watching and was excited as it started to look like R2D2

One piece at a time:)


The finished product

Marley was so sweet and came in as I was finishing and said,
"Mom this is the coolest cake ever!"
He just melted my heart.
Part of the reason I made this a post was because I think as a Mother sometimes I don't feel very talented and appreciated. This boosted my confidence and helped me feel appreciated. I think every Mom needs that in some form. Now I'm thinking about what I can do for my next cake!!

4 comments:

The Bunker Family said...

I am SO impressed! I agree that we definitely need encouragement as a Mom and you definitely deserve it. You are a great Mom and a great example!

Ted said...

Very Nice!

Unknown said...

Love it Anita. I am so impressed with you. You are amazing in so many ways...

The Wilcox Family said...

Awesome cake! I too love making cakes for my kids birthdays and also plan months in advance what I am going to do. I ventured into foundant for the first time when our Gracie turned 3 in July and found out how fun and easy it was. The recipe I used was from the wilton website and it was the marshmellow foundant, so easy!!! Also you should check out this website I get alot of ideas from (plus you can submite pictures of cakes you have done) it is coolest-birthday-cakes.com So many great cakes. I get alot of ideas from them and mold it into my own.
Again, awesome job on the cake:)