Friday, December 4, 2009

Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!!!

Yesterday a MIRACLE happened in San Angelo, Texas. IT SNOWED!!!!!
This whole week the forecast has included a chance of snow, but it never happened, so I wasn't holding my breath. Friday morning my alarm went off at 6:15 and I slowly got up to face the day. I walked through the living room and glanced out the back window. It was unusually bright outside so I took a second look. The ground was white but I still wasn't convinced, so I stepped out into the freezing air and witnessed the beautiful miracle that is called snow. Pure excitment filled my veins and my eyes teared up. In the four years we have lived in Texas, we have only seen tiny snow flurries in the air twice, but never on the ground. I just love the snow and often yearn to move back to Utah where the snow is plentiful.
Because snow is such a rarity I grabbed the camera and took whatever pictures I could. They didn't turn out spectacular because it was still dark, but I needed to make sure that I had evidence of the white stuff long after it melted. I headed back in to give Douglas the news and I climbed in the bed giggling like a little school girl. Well he was very excited too, just not quite hyperventilating like I was. About that time Gracie made her way to our room and we told her the news. She hasn't seen snow since she was a baby and doesn't remember it. Marley has never seen it, so it was really fun to take them out and show them how beautiful the world looks under a blanket of white snow.
They were still in their jammies and getting cold so we headed in for breakfast. Douglas made a special breakfast of bacon, eggs, and hashbrowns in honor of the snow. We had to convince the kids to eat before we headed out to play and that wasn't easy. Finally the time came to play, so we bundled up like crazy and headed out to the backyard. Gracie was saying all morning "The snow crunches below my feet." She learned it in a Christmas song at school. When she stepped on the snow she excitedly said with a huge smile on her face, "It does crunch below my feet!!!!!"
Marley picked up his first handful of snow and then looked at me with a panicked look like, Why is it so cold!? We played and made snowballs and enjoyed the snow so much! Then we decided to take a family picture in front of the house for posterity and good memories. Who knows when this will ever happen again. Finally we were all feeling a little chilly, so we headed to 7-11 for some hot chocolate. Once we were home we all warmed up and spent some relaxed family time together. What a fun morning to spend together! About that time the sun started to peek out and we knew it would start to melt. But for the short time that we had it, it was wonderful and it was like a great Christmas gift straight from heaven. We feel blessed!
Marley's first encounter with the snow.

Gracie was very happy to play in the snow for the first time!

It makes my hands cold!

Gracie learned how to throw snow at her parents.

Douglas had so much fun showing the kids how to make snowballs

Marley and his first taste of snow
I just love playing in the snow!


The family that plays in the snow together, stays together.
Or something like that!



We never expected to see our house covered in snow, but we like how it looks!

Ooh..snow!

Happy to play in the white stuff!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love snow! I always get SO excited and giddy when it snows:)And way cute pictures!!!

The Bunker Family said...

I love the snow pictures - the first snow is always the best! We don't get much snow here either (we had our first snow this weekend, too), so I totally understand how much you love it. I love the pictures of Gracie throwing snow at you - her smile is so cute! I also love the pictures of your family in front of the house. Way to go, taking the time to enjoy the moment!

Gary & Tish said...

Maria & I looked at your blog Monday night and loved it. You all look so happy!!