Thursday, December 24, 2009

Gingerbread Houses

This year we did gingerbread houses to get into the Christmas spirit. I enjoyed doing all the prep but I didn't realize how much effort it took. My mom is my hero for doing it for 8 of us every year growing up.

They turned out successful and we all had fun being creative and getting very sticky! Grandma Darlene joined us and we spent several hours at the table playing. We were all getting our houses put together and Marley was sitting eating candy and decorating his cookie. He looked around and then said "Papi have house, Mommy have house, Grandma have house, Gracie have house....Marley not have house." He was so dejected and pouty. I almost cried! I felt so bad. The original plan was to have Marley help one of us decorate ours so we could help him with the icing. Once he said that, Douglas let Marley decorate his and Marley quickly adopted it as his own.

We escaped long term hurt feelings, ate way too much sugar, hardly touched lunch and the houses turned out great. It's a fun way to have family time and it brings back lots of good memories. After we were finished Marley said "MY HAPPY!" That made me feel so good. Then Gracie said "Mission completion" just the way they do on Little Einsteins when they finish their task. I thought it was cute and I'm grateful for sweet little ones and a wonderful husband to share this holiday with! Merry Christmas everyone!


Grandma Darlene working hard on her first gingerbread house ever! So exciting!

Douglas preparing his house/bunker.

Marley enjoying the first of about 10 suckers
Marley and Papi decorating the bunker, lighting it on fire with candy wrappers and making the assault vehicle.

Serious concentration

Marley loves his Papi!

Mmmm...royal icing.


I'm a little obsessed with snowflakes.

Grandma's little helper.

Gracie loved making her princess-my little pony cottage.

Grandma's house

Douglas and Marley's fiery house complete with kicked down door, land mines and an assault vehicle.

Gracie's cottage - She did all the decorating!

Anita's house.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

How fun! I have never made a gingerbread house. They all turned out great:)

Summers Family said...

Your gingerbread houses turned out WAY better than ours! Did you make the gingerbread from scratch? If so... I need your recipe!

The Bunker Family said...

I love them - they turned out great! I made them for the first time last year and it definitely put things in perspective for me, too. Mom is definitely amazing for doing so many for all of us every year! I cheated this year and did a premade set that was given to us...

The Harwood Family said...

These are so cute! We are waiting until next year so Macie will have more fun decorating. I have to say though, I saw in one picture that you are wearing flip flops! I'm so jealous that you live in a warm climate. Then again, we have 10 inches of snow, so you can be jealous of that!

Dan said...

LOVE the bunker, Douglas. The land mines make it extra special.